30 Amazing Facts
by Lakshmi Menon
I came across some amazing facts, which I thought to share with you, and hope these will be useful to the children. I hope you too will enjoy as much as I did.
1. Camel’s milk does not curdle.
2. Giraffes have the same number of vertebrae in their necks as humans. Their lips are prehensile, their tongues are 21 inches long, and they cannot cough.
3. Male emperor penguin look after and incubate the eggs.
4.The caterpillar has more than 2,000 muscles.
5. Rats can go without water longer than camels in their environment.
6. No insect can kill a redwood tree.
7.A redwood tree can live for 2000 years.
8.The blue whale has a heart the size of a small car and its blood vessel is so broad, that a person could swim through it.
9. A liver cell is specialized enough to perform more than 500 operations at a time.
10. A human being loses an average of 40 to 100 strands of hair a day.
11. Even for a faint smile, 17 muscles have to work together at the same time.
12. The heart connects the 100 trillions cells in the human body one by one.
13.A fingernail or toenail takes about 6 months to grow from base to tip.
14. Human saliva has a boiling point three times that of regular water.
15.The longest war in history goes to the incorrectly named 100-year-war between Britain and France which went on for 116 years.
16.The shortest war took place in 1896 when Zanzibar surrendered to Britain after 38 minutes.
17. Neck ties were first worn in Croatia.
18. There is 5 liters of blood in the body of a human weighing 60 kilograms.
19. Teenagers need as much sleep as small children (about 10 hrs) while those over 65 need the least of all (about six hours). For the average adult aged 25-55, eight hours is considered optimal.
20. The human kidneys filter about 140 liters of blood every day through one million small filtering units.
21. All polar bears are left handed.
22. The African Elephant has a gestation period of 22 months while a short-nosed bandicoot gestates for 12 days.
23. Owl is the only bird, which can rotate its head to 270 degrees.
24. The largest bird egg in the world today is that of the ostrich, which take 40 minutes to hard-boil because of their size and the thickness of their shells. Ostrich eggs are from 6 to 8 inches long.
25. Dolphins sleep with one eye open.
26. An Octopus has 3 hearts.
27. Ostriches can only kick forward.
28. A hummingbird weighs less than a penny.
29. Flamingos are grey when they are born.
30. Fishes cannot live in the Dead Sea because the water has too much salt in it.
Note: You too can add such amazing facts if you come to know, by using the comment form. Please note that you have to write your name there. Those without names will not be published.