by Lakshmi Menon
Apple thoran is a tasty side dish and it can be used with rice. It is very easy to prepare.
Apple cut into small pieces - 2 cups
Carrot cut into small pieces - 1/2 cup
Finely chopped onion - 1 cup
Scraped coconut - 1 cup
Green chillies - 2-3 (chopped)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 t.spoon
Chillie powder - 1 t.spoon
Salt - as required
Water - 1/2 cup
B) For seasoning -
Mustard seeds - 1/2-1 t.spoon
Urad dal - 1 t.spoon
Cooking oil - 1 tb.spoon
Curry leaves - fewMethod of preparation
1) In a kadai, add oil and when it is hot, add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal and curry leaves and stir it.
2) Add finely chopped onion and stir for 2 minutes. Lower the flame.
3) Add turmeric powder and chilli powder and stir.
3) Add all other items in (A) and mix well, and cover it up. Cook in medium flame.
4) After 2-3 minutes, remove the cover and stir it.
5) Close it again and keep it for about 3 minutes in low flame.
6) Remove the cover and Apple thoran is ready to use.