by Jayasudha Bhaskaran
Bonda is a sweet snack usually found in tea shops. Here comes the recipe of simple and sweet bonda.
Wheat flour -1/2 cup
All purpose flour - 1/4 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup ( as per requirement )
A pinch of cumin seeds
Cardamom - 2
Ripe banana - 1
A pinch of salt
A pinch of baking sodaMethod of preparation :
1) Add cardamom, cumin seeds and sugar to a blender and grind it into a fine powder.
2) Now add the banana into the blender and blend it well with the above ingredients.
3) Now mix wheat flour, all purpose flour ,salt and baking soda in a bowl and then add the blended paste to it.
4) Mix it well and add water little by little untill the dough reaches a loose sticky consistency. Knead the dough well and keep it aside to rest for 2-3 hours by closing the bowl with a moist cloth to retain moisture.
5) After 2 or 3 hours, heat oil in a pan and drop the dough into the oil in the form of round balls either by rolling it with the hands or by using a spoon to drop the dough into the oil.
6)Make sure that there is enough oil for the bonda to get fried and flip it often to cook it uniformly.
7)Remove the bonda from the oil as it turns crispy and brown in colour.Tips :
Do not blend the sugar and banana together as the sugar may not be ground properly.
Fry the bondas in low flame to cook it uniformly and it is recommondable to make small balls out of the dough to cook it well.
Do not use too much of baking soda.
Banana is added to make the bonda soft and half a banana will be sufficient in case of large banana. Adding excess of banana may consume more oil.
The dough should be loose and sticky and you may avoid all purpose flour and use wheat flour alone, if required. But it may result in a hard bonda. Also you can add equal proportions of all purpose flour and wheat flour to make the bonda more soft. ***