2 cups of rice, preferably basmati
4 cups of water
pinch of salt
1 Tsp oil
2 Tbl spoon of canola oil
1/4 tsp asefoetida (hing)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilly powder(according to taste)
2 tsp pulav masala
1 tablespoon finely grinded ginger
2-3 green cardomom pods
2-3 bay leaves
salt according to taste
2 cups of cabbage finely chopped
1 green bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
2 tomatoes finely choppedMethod:
1. Wash rice with water couple of times and soak it aside for 10mins.
2. Add oil, salt in the rice with some water and keep it in a rice cooker for cookingFor Vegetable and gravy:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds until they splutter. Cook on a medium flame.
2. Add ginger, turmeric, chopped green and red bell pepper, mix it well for 2-3 minutes. Add cardomom pods and bay leaves and mix well. Put the green peas soaked in water if they are frozen
3. Add chopped cabbage and mix it well for 5-7 minutes until they become tender and mix well.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, green peas and coriander leaves and leave it for 5-7 mintues. Cover the pan with a lid.
5. Now add red chilly powder, pulav masala and salt. mix well the vegetables until they cook evenly.
6. Now you can turn it off if the rice is not yet cooked, other wise add the cooked rice in the gravy and mix well.
7. You can have it with yogurt or chutney.
8. You can garnish the rice with drops of lemon juice if needed.