by Jayasudha Bhaskaran
Idli is a common dish in most of the South Indian houses. At times,we may get confused as to what to do with the remaining idlis made for breakfast. Here comes a simple recipe out of the excess idlis.
Medium sized onion-1
Mustard seeds-1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves-1 string
Dry red chillies-3
Turmeric powder-1/4 teaspoon
OilMethod of preparation:
1) Dip the idlis in water and break it into pieces and keep aside.
2) Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a pan and add mustard seeds as the oil gets heated.
3) Add chopped onion,dry red chillies and curry leaves into it.
4) Then add turmeric powder and squeeze the lemon into it once the onion turns translucent.
5) Add the pieces of idlis and salt into it and mix it well and saute for two minutes.
The tasty idli upma is ready.TIPS:
Do not soak the idlis in water but just dip it. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter or it may lead to a bitter taste. You may also add urad dal or peanuts while sauting.***