Moru Kachiyathu (Buttermilk Curry)
by Jayasudha Bhaskaran
Different types of recipes could be made using buttermilk.
Here comes a very simple and delicious recipe called Moru Kachiyathu (Buttermilk Curry) which is usually served with rice.
Cooking time:10 minutesIngredients:
Buttermilk - 1 cup
Coconut oil - 2 tablespoon
Shallots - 6
Dry red chilli - 3
Curry leaves - 1 string
Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - To tasteMethod of preparation:
1) Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
2) Add chopped shallots and saute till it turns translucent.
3) Add the dry red chillies which are broken into two pieces and the curry leaves.
4) Saute till the chillies become crispy and changes its colour.
5) Add turmeric powder and saute it for a while.
6) Now pour the buttermilk and add salt to it. Cook for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
The tasty Moru kachiyathu (Buttermilk curry) is ready.Tips:
Add the mustard seeds to heated oil and let it crackle. Wait for the popping sound of the mustard seeds or else it may add a bitter taste to the curry.
Always saute turmeric powder in oil to remove the raw smell. ***